Monday, April 23, 2012

Who Needs Sleep Part II: Biphasic Sleeping?

I am a night owl. But I'm also a morning person. In fact, pretty much the only times I'm tired are around 4 am and around 3 pm. The rest of the time it's go, go, go! So I did some research into polyphasic sleeping a while ago, and decided it was too risky. No, I didn't try it for myself. I decided that there wasn't enough evidence that it was safe, and the only research that's been done into sleep suggests that sleep deprivation is quite unhealthy. That's enough for me, sorry, I'm a coward like that.

Biphasic sleep, on the other hand, is a time honored tradition in much of the world - siestas! A mid-afternoon nap. Mmm, yummy. The benefits of working from home. I usually don't get more than 5-6 hours of sleep at night, and I can really feel a difference in my overall performance. And I work from home most days, so I might as well, right? In theory, a 90 minute nap at 2 pm will improve time management and make me way more productive the rest of the day. In practice, it might just make me groggy and not want to do anything else for the rest of the day. We'll see what happens!

Have you undertaken a similar experiment? What were the results?

No comments:

Post a Comment