Friday, April 27, 2012

Freelancers don't get sick days.

It's maybe the worst part about the whole concept of freelancing. It's not doing taxes (I say confidently without having done taxes), or juggling all the jobs or waking up early. It's that there are no sick days.

On the one hand, I'm at home, right? So I can just stay in bed and work. True. But on the other hand, ohgodawfulsickness - all I really want to do is sleep. That must wait until work is done, however.

I guess I could take a sick day, but I might be out of a job or two. So instead it's sitting around typing about being sick on the internet and being glad that my Male Compatriot is almost better from his bout with the disease.

To add injury to injury, I have one very weak ankle and an athletic personality, so I sprained the ankle pretty badly.. again... yesterday, while I was desperately pretending I wasn't sick. Now I have to do a bunch of work at home AND go in to the last few days of my remaining part-time office job to see if they send me home. Must sort out my bike, I'm really not sure how that will go.

Good night. I'm going to collapse back into a puddle of self-pity. On the plus side, I am already in bed.

How do you handle being sick? Do you insist upon a day? Do you work through it? I'm fresh out of the music industry, where nothing short of hospitalization is an acceptable excuse for missing work, and then only if you can't sneak past the doctor. So I am in the habit of working through illness, but that may not be a good solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment