Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Shameless Self Promotion

I got a job! My first non ELance, for reals independent freelance gig, with http://www.sparknotes.com/mindhut <-- That's the shameless self promotion part. I will be writing articles for them on various nerdy subjects. At last, a way to profit from my unhealthy obsession with all things fantasy and sci-fi. (I know it's cool to be a nerd now but... well... I make seasoned D&D players and LARPers uncomfortable now and again.)

I have my own contributor blog and everything! Username Jasper. I write about whatever I think is interesting and nerdy. This first week was really hard: I have at least three half written articles that I've been to timid to submit. I'm still kind of nervous about putting myself out there like that - why am I funny? Why should people listen to me ramble on about various and sundry topics? I don't mind people not accepting my topics, but I really didn't want my first proposal to be rejected. Puts a bad tone over things to come.

Luckily, while the Mindhut accepts submissions on whatever you like, the editors also provides some sample topics. When a movie trailer popped up early in the morning, I volunteered for it immediately and promised it within two hours, so I didn't chicken out. And they liked it. So, moral of the story: just try! Force yourself to try! Pick something you think you can do, and do it. You'll surprise yourself, most likely.



And in closing, a friend of mine once sent me this video to illustrate how I treat men. I've scaled it back, but it's why this is a great job for me. Warning: nerd stuff ahead. http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6534168/im-such-a-nerd-with-katrina-bowden

No comments:

Post a Comment